Everything you need to know about peptides.
Peptides are one of the most talked-about ingredients in the skincare industry – and for a good reason. They can complement any skincare routine to help provide powerful anti-aging benefits.
What are Peptides, exactly?
Peptides, also called polypeptides, are a short chain of amino acids that act as the building blocks of your skin’s proteins, such as elastin, keratin, and collagen. These proteins are what gives your skin its structure, texture, and resilience. As we age, our body slows the production of these proteins, which can result in wrinkles, fine lines, sagging skin, and an overall change in texture. Boo.
How Do They Work?
While our body can make proteins naturally, the production begins to slow down as we age, and we lose about 1% of our collagen every year after once we hit 30. Peptides are small enough to penetrate the outer layer of the skin and they can be added to moisturizers, serums, and masks. When absorbed by the skin, they act as little messengers that send signals to the other cells to begin producing collagen. Yay!
What Are the Benefits of Peptides?
- Minimising appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Because they stimulate collagen production, they can reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduce inflammation. Peptides have anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe irritated skin, reduce redness, and repair damaged skin.
- Increase skin firmness. The elastin in your skin is boosted by adding peptides leading to firmer, more toned skin.
- Improved skin barrier. Adding peptides to your skincare routine can help strengthen your skin barrier; protecting against pollution, bacteria, UV rays, and more.
- Boosts hydration. By stimulating collagen production in your skin, peptides can also boost hydration.
- Heals wounds and reduces the appearance of scars. Peptides work hard to heal your skin by triggering your body’s response to heal wounds and can improve the appearance of scars caused by acne.
Some great products that contain peptides
Peptides are essential for the building blocks of some of the proteins that make up your skin’s texture, firmness, and structure. Using products that include this stellar ingredient in your regular skincare routine can have instant and longterm benefits.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate, which means if you click on them and buy something, I make a small commission.