What products are in your makeup bag right now?
• Lancaster Express Cleanser ( No Rinse Cleanser)
• Olay Regenerist Eye Lifting Serum
• Pigeon Baby Compact Powder
• Mentholatum Sunplay SPF 50 Clear Water Sunscreen Lotion
• Makeup Forever HD Primer & Loreal True Match Base
• MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation & MAC Sheer Loose Powder
• Maybelline Angel Fit Perfect Concealer
• Loreal Blush Delice
• Maybelline Volume Express Turbo Boost Mascara
• MAC Eye Kohl Pencil • Loreal Brow Stylist Pencil & MAC Spiked Eye Brows Crayon • Lip Gloss from Ettusan’s, Lancome, Revlon & Shiseido
• Eye Shadows from Bobbi Brown, MAC, Shu, The Body Shop & Bourjois
• Vaseline Petrolum Gel
Why do you use those particular products and do you have a particular philosophy or routine?
Basically I like using products that serve their true purpose. I believe in ensuring my skin is well nourished, prepared and protected before I put on any makeup. I carry a no-rinse cleanser to keep my face clean at all times and always protect my skin from the sun with sunscreen. I like to apply toner, moisturizer and primer or a makeup base before applying any makeup. I like products that are easy to apply and not too drying or too greasy. The eye shadows in particular that I use are easy to blend and lasting with no fallout.
How often do you change what’s in your makeup bag?
I usually stick within the expiry period of the products. As for items like lip-gloss and eye shadow, there will always be new colours that I want to add every other month! I also like to try new products every now and then to test out the new formulas.
Is there a product you can’t live without and regularly re-purchase?
There are a few in fact. Because of climate I am in, with the sun shining almost all year round, sunscreen is a must for me. I particularly like Mentholatum Sunplay SPF 50 Clear Water Sunscreen Lotion as it provides good coverage without being sticky and leaves my skin feeling smooth and light. I love Pigeon’s Baby Compact Powder. I use it as a finishing powder and as it’s made for babies, it’s great for my sensitive skin. I also swear by Maybelline’s Volume Express Mascara for its wonderful lush effect. My other must-haves include my concealer, eye brow pencil and lip gloss. Revlon’s Lip gloss in No. 40 is my all time favourite.
What is the story behind the bag you use?
It’s a gift from a loved one. I love the pretty, vibrant colours.
Jessica Soo is a professional makeup artist and image consultant based in Singapore. Find out more about Jessica by visiting her blog